A museum, a refreshing hike and a savory outdoor lunch are just that the doctor ordered. Join us in our 5-hour medium difficulty hike across 2 Transylvanian villages.
Duration: 8 hours 25 min
Bus Ride: 90 min
Hiking: 300 min
Difficulty Level: medium
Level difference: 648m/-698m
– Transport in a comfortable bus
– Tour Guide for the whole day
– Lunch pack
– Entrance fee Sadu 1 Energy Museum and The Fortified Evangelical Church Cisnadie
– Guided tour at the Sadu 1 Energy Museum and The Fortified Evangelical Church Cisnadie
How to book
Group Bookings will be available starting 1st of June 2020.
Individual Bookings will be available starting 1st of August 2020. Please find more details here.
1. Travel by bus to Sadu
2. Sadu 1 Energy Museum visit
3. Travel by bus to Râu Sadului
4. Hiking along the Râu Sadului – Apa Cumpănită – Râu Sadului route
5. Lunch break with Lunch box
6. Travel by bus to Cisnădie
7. Visiting the Fortified Evangelical Church Cisnădie
8. Bus to Sibiu
* our hiking track from Râu Sadului – Apa Cumpănită – Râu Sadului is not displayed on this Google Map. Only the stops accessible by car are displayed. Please view our Interactive Hiking Map for the whole hiking track.
The Sadu 1 Energy Museum is located in the building of the oldest hydroelectric plant in operation in Romania. It was inaugurated on December 16, 1896. With all the equipment in working order, the plant itself represents the most valuable exhibit of this museum. On the upper floor, above the machine room, in the former rooms for the operating personnel, 3 rooms have been set up in which are exposed equipment, tools, materials, and documents that illustrate stages of energy development in southern Transylvania.
Sadu 1 Energy Museum © sadu.ro
The route that climbs from Râu Sadului on the Runcului Ridge to the Apa Cumpănită Saddle and then descends on the Glub Ridge back to Râu Sadului offers a wonderful perspective on the Sadu Valley and the surrounding peaks, but also on the nearby mountains (West of Făgăraș Mountains, Lotru Mountains, the central part of the Cindrel Mountains), the trail creeping through the meadows, huts and birch forests.
The Church was built in the XII-XIII centuries, in Romanesque style. The fortification surrounding the church was built between 1430 and 1530 and has two concentric curtains strengthened by towers, bastions and water ditches. In the southwestern part of the church, a circular chapel was included in a defense Tower. It seems that this fortification had the most complex system of fortifications among all the peasant fortress of Transylvania. The bell tower in Romanesque style has seven levels and a height of 59 m and burned several times due to lightning strikes. In 1795, the first lightning bolt in Transylvania was installed here, following the method of Raimarus in Hamburg.
Fortified Evangelical Church, Cisnădie