Join us on a 5hour hike of medium difficulty, across the wonderful villages of Sibiu. Gura Râului and Sibiel, explored in-depth, with our experienced tour guide.
Duration: 8 hours
Bus Ride: 75 min
Hiking: 300 min
Difficulty Level: medium
Level difference: 655m/-714m
– Transport in a comfortable bus
– Tour Guide for the whole day
– Lunch pack
– Entrance fee at The Museum of Icons on Glass
– Guided tour at The Museum of Icons on Glass
– Horse cart ride
How to book
Group Bookings will be available starting 1st of June 2020.
Individual Bookings will be available starting 1st of August 2020. Please find more details here.
1. Travel by bus to Gura Râului
2. Walking through Gura Râului Village
3. Travel by bus to the Gura Râului Dam
4. Hike Gura Râului Dam – Fântânele Chalet – Sibiel
5. Lunch break during the hike, with lunch pack a mesmerizing view
6. Horse Cart ride on the last 2km – to the Museum of Glass Paintings
7. The Museum of Icons on Glass in Sibiel visit
8. Travel by bus to Sibiu
* our hiking track from Gura Râului Dam – Fântânele Chalet – Sibiel is not perfectly represented on this Google Map. Only the stops accessible by car are displayed. Please view our Interactive Hiking Map for the whole hiking track.
Gura Râului is an ancient Romanian village situated at the foot of the Cibinului Mountains, in the well-known area of Mărginimea Sibiului. It is known for the crafts, traditions, and customs kept by the inhabitants, but also for the hospitality shown to tourists. Older and newer monuments, churches and buildings make up an architectural ensemble specific to the authentic Romanian village.
The route runs through a very picturesque area, with halls and houses scattered through the meadows on the mountain. Most of the houses, though abandoned, talk about the times when the basic occupation of the locals was raising animals. Following more the rounded peaks of the mountain, the route offers very wide perspectives on the surrounding hills, but also on the villages north and northeast of Sibiel.
Beyond the modest facade, the museum in Sibiel houses a wonderful collection of masterpieces, old glass icons, works by simple authors, peasants from all over Transylvania. Organized on two levels, the museum reveals the world of the Transylvanian rural faith, each icon, unique in its own way, attracts through the story and the message that lie beyond a simple drawing on the glass. The museum has the largest collection of glass icons in Transylvania.
The Museum of Icons on Glass Sibiel